- Birmingham-Southern College is a four-year, private liberal arts institution founded in 1856 and affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
- Location: 3 miles from downtown Birmingham, Alabama.
- Enrollment: 1288 students from 35 states and 13 countries
- Academic profile, class of 2020: High school core GPA of 3.7, average ACT score of 26
- Faculty: 103 full-time and 48 part-time, 93 percent with a Ph.D. or highest degree in their field
- Student/faculty ratio: 13:1
- Average class size: 16
- Academic calendar: 4-1-4; two semesters of four units each plus one Exploration Term course
- Majors: 25 undergraduate majors, 25 minors, 10 special programs
- History: Birmingham-Southern College is the result of a merger of Southern University, founded in Greensboro, Alabama, in 1856, with Birmingham College, opened in 1898 in Birmingham, Alabama. These two institutions were consolidated on May 30, 1918 under the name of Birmingham-Southern College.
- Campus: 192 acres, including lake and urban environmental park
[read more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
- Clubs and organizations: 80+
- Athletics: 22 NCAA Division III varsity sports competing in the Southern Athletic Association
- Academic consortia: Associated Colleges of the South (ACS); Birmingham Area Consortium of Higher Education (BACHE); National Council on Undergraduate Research, Council of Independent Colleges
- National Honor Societies: Sheltering institution for a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, home to business honor society Beta Gamma Sigma; plus many more
- Financial Aid: Birmingham-Southern is committed to making your education affordable. We are a need aware institution, which means that in the application process, we will ask for you to disclose your financial information. Based off of this information along with your full application, you will be eligible for merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid through the college.
- Nursing dual-degree
- Law dual-degree
- Environmental Studies dual-degree
- Distinction in Leadership Studies
- Distinction in Poverty Studies
- Distinction in Public Health
Does your institution have a Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU) Program for students?
Overview of the research emphasis of our institution/faculty/students
An overview of the Research Emphasis at our institution can be found here.
Research opportunities are available in all areas of study.
Internships/Cooperative Education (COOP)
Does your institution have an internship program?
Does your institution have a COOP program?
Does your institution support Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
Does your institution offer education abroad opportunities for all students?
- Faculty led abroad
- Short term abroad
- Summer abroad
- Semester abroad
- Exchange abroad
- Internships abroad
- Work experience abroad
- Service abroad
Small, private, liberal arts college in located 2 miles out side of a major city.
- Cross Country
- Swimming & Diving
- Track & Field
Click here to learn more about student organizations, honor societies, interest groups, service groups, and Greek organizations.
Does your institution have a service learning/community service outreach program?
The Bunting Center for Engaged Study and Community Action programs include:
- Ongoing community partnerships with service agencies in Birmingham that address a range of needs.
- Annual Exploration Term projects and alternative springs breaks that offer intensive service experiences in diverse settings.
- Classes in multiple disciplines that integrate service into the curriculum.
- Other opportunities such as Outreach Days, clothing and meal card drives, and voter registration initiatives. Check out the links to the left to learn more about how you can get involved.
Student Organization Information
International Student/Faculty Organizations
- Single Sex Housing
- Co-ed Housing
- Single Occupancy
- Double Occupancy
- Suite Single Occupancy
- Housing for Disabled Students
Academic Facilities Available
To take a virtual tour of our facilities, click here.
US Immigration Compliance Information
Does your institution issue I20 for F1 visa status and/or DS2019 for J1 visa status?
Does your institution offer US Immigration advising?
The Office of Multicultural Affairs, specifically the International Student Services Coordinator, works to make international students feel at home at BSC and assists with the immigration process, orientation, and support throughout your time on the Hilltop.
US Immigration Support Services
Cost and Financial Aid
International Student Costs
||$ Per Year
||$ Per Semester
|Undergraduate tuition (per semester)*
|Room and Board (per semester)*
|Required Fees (per year)
|Average Book Expense (per year)
International Financial Aid
Does your institution offer financial aid (scholarships, institutional aid, etc.) for admitted international students?
Birmingham-Southern is committed to making your education affordable. We are a need aware institution, which means that in the application process, we will ask for you to disclose your financial information. Based off of this information along with your full application, you will be eligible for merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid through the college.
Back to Institutions