Welcome to Study Alabama, universities and colleges in Alabama host students from virtually every country in the world. Our universities and colleges offer a wide range of settings, disciplines, and degree programs that will prepare you for virtually any career you have chosen or would like to choose from. Alabama is also globally tied in our economic sector (businesses, industries, manufacturing, etc.). This makes possible the close ties from research to entrepreneurship that exist in the state.
When Choosing an Institution
What to consider when choosing an institution is perhaps one of the most challenging questions to answer. Key to your decision process is the need to be sure that you find an institution, discipline, degree and local community that best meets your specific needs. Questions you should ask yourself are:
- Who can I contact to help me work through my questions?
- What do you want to study while here in Alabama?
- What degree programs are offered in Alabama and where in the State are they located?
- If you are interested in graduate or professional programs in Alabama? What are their requirements and how will your studies transfer to these programs?
- What types of communities would you like to live in? Alabama is a very diverse state with large metropolitan locations to locations in more rural yet quite welcoming communities.
- What are the application requirements? What are the deadlines for applying? What financial resources will you need and is there help in meeting your financial need?
The greatest help in choosing a program will be your contacts at the universities and colleges that we have available for you to consider reaching out to. All of our colleagues work at fully accredited institutions of higher education and are eager to speak with you via email, social media or any form of communication you might find preferable.
Are Alabama universities and colleges accredited?
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges is the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states. All Alabama colleges and universities associated with Study Alabama are accredited by the SACS organization and are also authorized as institutions of higher education under the State of Alabama Commission on Higher Education. Each of these organizations has links to the universities and colleges that are accredited in the State of Alabama.
Additionally each institution may have other specialized accreditation for their different degree programs, please check each institutions for any professional or other accreditation listing they may have for their programs.
Preparing to Come to AL
Once you have chosen your university or college you will need to begin to learn more about the State of Alabama and the local community you will be coming to. Your host institution will help you with many of your questions and will provide a very good orientation program for you to participate in as you prepare to come and begin classes at their university or college. The Alabama Tourism division has also prepared pages that will help you with making your travel plans, in particular this site on getting to Alabama should be helpful. Here you will find distances from major international entry points, airports and transportation services. We also have pages on our web site to help you further as well.